In the normal course of use, between salt creep, household dust and fingerprints the fixture hanging over your tank can get fairly dirty. If you’ve noticed your bright light has been looking a little dim, take a look at giving it a good cleaning. Our step by step instructions below will give you a good basic guide.
- Disconnect your fixture from the power source. If it’s been running, wait for it to cool.
- Using a damp cloth, wipe down the exterior of the fixture.
- Remove the lens from the fixture and wipe it down- if necessary to remove excessive grime, you can rinse it with water.
- Use a toothbrush or pipe cleaner to clean out the tracks that hold your lens in place.
- Using a slightly damp, gently wipe down the reflectors and inside of the fixture. Optionally, you can use compressed air to blow out the fans and ventilation system.
- Check to make sure all components are completely dry before reassembling your fixture. This is a good time to check all your cords and cables for wear before plugging them back in.
If you follow these quick tips when things start looking dim, you’ll keep your fixture looking newer longer!